Mining Laser Particle

/
0 Comments
For the racing level I am planning on having mining lasers be one of the main obstacles for players to watch out for. I came up with this idea while I was looking up reference. I want my level to be space themed, so while searching for asteroids and what not, I found some EVE-Online screenshots.

EVE-Online is a fantastic, one of a kind game that has accomplished the impossible - having a completely player driven economy with almost no interference from the developers. In fact, the developers mostly let players do anything that is considered hacking or cheating.

Either way, one way of getting cash in EVE is to mine asteroids! In-game ships use mining lasers to blast ore out of rocks and collect tons of minerals. I always loved EVE, the game play, the wacky people that play it, and the beautiful sky boxes that populate the many star systems players can wrap to.

 

Therefore, I shall try to mix together the particle system they've developed here, with something a bit more threatening. I will also pull inspiration from the Halo series, especially the Covenant's infamous Glassing Cannon



I would aim to make a particle that basically takes the beam look from EVE, adding in the devastating orange glow the Covenant's concentrated beam of plasma creates when it impacts the surface. I will have to play with how powerful that glow is, so players are not blinded by it completely.



Here are some additional effects from Halo Wars that I will reference. I like the idea of a strong pulse that happens every so often. Maybe I can make it feel powerful, but keep it from being as blinding as the glow from the first gif by having this periodic pulsing effect.




You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.